Friday, January 27, 2012

Lesson 4

 
 
 
 
     One of the things that I needed desperately that I am so glad I got while I was away was something many people take for granted. It was something that I had in overabundance when we first got married and I was pregnant with my first child. It was something that so many people have and either don't realize it's healing and magnificent power or it's something that is all encompassing them and wears away at their very nerves.


SILENCE.



Today's Lesson: Take the Time to Sit in Silence

     If you have ever met me (or spoke with me for more than 10 minutes) then you will know how deep my love runs for the ocean and beaches. I grew up never living further than 15 minutes from the beach. The "shore" is where I went for free family fun, to meditate on the Lord, to cry and sort thru things in my head...to freeze moments in time with my camera for all eternity. I was so in love with the beach that I made it a priority to take stale and leftover food down to feed the seagulls every day...and would store away stale cereal and bread for them for the winter.
taking my calamari
ok,group shot.Everybody look this way!
 

     Well, it's been about 3 years since I've been near a beach, and let me tell you- the soft sand and crashing waves of my destination were calling me like a lover's voice in the night. As soon as I could, I headed down to the water's edge and just breathed in its powerful beauty. And although there wasn't complete silence around me (waves crashing, the occasional couple strolling by with their happy go lucky yappy dog) there was a silence and peace about me that I haven't felt in forever. The freedom to guiltlessly sit in the cool sand with my eyes closed and the salt air lifting my hair....it was like waiting for God to kiss my forehead. The lack of screaming and/or fighting children, blaring tvs, cars honking, phones ringing and utter chaos that swirls around me on a daily basis left me feeling like I was floating; that feeling you get when you spin as fast as you can then just STOP and stand as still as you can. 
     I couldn't help it. I began to cry. It started with the lump in the throat, then a rogue tear...then a few tears. Thank Heavens I managed to keep myself from losing it completely,lol.It never ceases to amaze me how whenever God is depicted on TV or in stories, He's either a flash of lightening or thunder rolling. It's like we expect to hear God's voice in loud scariness. I guess that's not a new concept-
9"And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
 10And he said, I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left; and they seek my life, to take it away.
 11And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
 12And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.
 13And it was so, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle, and went out, and stood in the entering in of the cave. And, behold, there came a voice unto him, and said, What doest thou here, Elijah?"1 Kings 19:9-13 KJV
     Elijah was waiting for God to be in all the noise and hooplah also- but He wasn't. He was in the stillness of a small voice. I guess that's why I cried. Because it was the first time in such a very long time that I could feel Him again, near me.
     Yes, when I blog I pray.And when I sit down to meals or tuck my babies in,or when a friend is going through a trial or test I pray. And I praise Him that I have learned to hear and know His voice, beyond a shadow of a doubt (and let me tell you, It truly IS small. If you don't sit still and purposely listen for It, you may miss It.) 
     Now I am fully aware that many of you reading cannot get away alone to a beach; heck, you'll be lucky if you can get away to use the restroom in peace (this issue I know well)! But nighttime always comes. So does early morning. There is always some point in the 24 hour day (no matter how long or short it lasts) where there is peace and quiet. It may take effort on your part to seek it out , but I implore you to find it and revel in it. You have no idea what sitting in silence can do for your soul unless you give it a chance. You may feel ridiculous at first, or exhausted if it's at an obscene hour...but carving out this time is imperative to your mind and heart's health and well being. Removing the peace of silence in someone's life is like a steady drip of water on a rock- it will eventually erode and fall apart.
When the world seems to be flying around you like rays of light in warp speed, "be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10a KJV

sunrise

6:30am


No comments:

Post a Comment